Khamzat Chimaev (8-0 MMA, 2-0 UFC) is expected to fight Gerald Meerschaert (31-13 MMA, 6-5 UFC) at 185 pounds on 19 September 2020 in Las Vegas, USA. Chimaev has received his visa for the United States of America. Chimaev stormed into the UFC becoming the first fighter in the current era to win twice in a span of 10 days.
His attitude to accept any fights at any division has been appreciated by Dana White himself. Meanwhile, Meerschaert wasted no time to leave a prediction about the fight. White has revealed that Chimaev could potentially face the former UFC welterweight and middleweight title challenger Demian Maia at the “Fight Island” in Abu Dhabi, UAE if he succeeds on September 19.
He’s not leaving the cage physically able to fight in October. https://t.co/S3uAjlAVmi— Gerald Meerschaert (@The_Real_GM3) September 4, 2020
Chimaev who is 26-years-old made his UFC debut on July 15 on short notice to defeat John Phillips without even taking a significant strike. In his two UFC bouts, Chimaev has dominated his opponents in strikes by a combined 192-2.
Meerschaert is battle-tested and comes with an experience of 44 professional fights in his career. However, he has alternated wins and losses over his recent four fights. After submitting Trevin Giles in August 2019, Meerschaert returned two months later to lose a split decision against Eryk Anders. So far in 2020, Meerschaert has defeated Deron Winn by submission and lost to Ian Heinisch by TKO.
The lineup for UFC’s Sept. 19 card now includes:
- Colby Covington vs. Tyron Woodley
- Donald Cerrone vs. Niko Price
- Ryan Spann vs. Johnny Walker
- Mackenzie Dern vs. Randa Markos
- Kevin Holland vs. Darren Stewart
- Khamzat Chimaev vs. Gerald Meerschaert
- Mara Romero Borella vs. Mayra Bueno Silva
- David Dvorak vs. Jordan Espinosa
- Randy Costa vs. Journey Newson
- Andre Ewell vs. Irwin Rivera
- Sarah Alpar vs. Jessica-Rose Clark
- TJ Laramie vs. Darrick Minner
- Miguel Baeza vs. Mickey Gall
- Mirsad Bektic vs. Eduardo Garagorri